Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design of pin connection+base plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will not find an AISC example geared specifically around your particular pinned structure. You need to apply some engineering principles and judgement and break it down into smaller components. Then design for the resulting forces.

The Reply from AISC : Thanks to AISC
Hello,

I can only find one design example that is based on Section D5 of the AISC Specification, example D7: Engineering judgement must be exercised when determining the relevance of this example as it seems to be much simpler than the picture you provided.

True pin connections are much rarer now than they once were. Section D5 of the Specification can be used to evaluate the strength of the pin-connected member. Since pinned connections are relatively unusual, not much effort has been put into research and development of their use. The provisions in the Specification are based largely on work conducted in the 1930s. There are geometrical constraints that can cause some headaches for designers and I would recommend that you evaluate these early in the process.

Relative to constructability, Section D5.2 also states, “When the pin is expected to provide for relative movement between connected parts while under full load, the diameter of the pin hole shall not be more than 1/32 in. (1 mm) greater than the diameter of the pin.” This can make erection difficult.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

I assume the connection is symmetrical about the supported member, i.e. there are two vertical plates in the supporting bracket and a single knife plate through the horizontal supported member. In that case, the design of the pin is quite simple, as it is just a short, fat beam. These connections are common in architecturally exposed structures where that look is desired. Once you design the basic connection, keep in mind that the pin has to stay in place, so some type of keeper is required each end.

If you search this forum for something like "pin design", you should get some useful opinions.

I still want to know what you're trying to support.

The ASME standard for below the hook lifting devices has a bunch of limit states to check for plates with pins in them, since this is pretty similar to lifting lug design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back