Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of Telecommunication poles using PLS-POLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcposada1

Civil/Environmental
Jul 21, 2005
US
Hello, I'm new to the forums, my question is if anyone uses PLS-Pole as a program method to design telecomunication poles.

I have been using a spread sheet that links to SAPS, now with the revision G to the TIA/EIA 222 code we are moving towards the PLS-POLE direction. If anyone has any imput on this I will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcello

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used the program, and liked it but the developers are more geared towards the Powerline Industry which makes things difficult for modeling telecommunication towers. I think the program is around $2500 for the pole version and if you want towers its another $3500. If you work with the telecommunication industry then you would need both. After using PLS-POLE & TOWER for several years I tried another program called ERI Tower. This software is tailored for telecommunications a lot better than Powerline. They have a fully functional demo & a well documented manual. Hope this helps.

I use the PLS software daily to do transmission lines and use PLS-POLE ocassionally to analyze telecom poles for EIA loads (we put PCS antennas on our transmission towers) and sometimes use stand alone poles on our property. I also talk or email the developers weekly about program improvements and they work on the EIA issues quite a lot with PLS-POLE, so I sort of disagree with STR04 that they are geared more toward powerline industry to the detriment of the EIA. They do put significant development to EIA issues. From my meager experience with EIA, the big issue is with the automatic generation of the loads on the structure. Most structural software can easily handle the analysis of the structure, the challenge is to get the loads correct.

I am also a GTStrudl user and they have a Telecom Tower module they are starting to market as an add on to the general software. The module is for latice masts either guyed or free standing.

Thanks for all the info. I like where transmissiontowers is coming from. The trick to use PLS-POLE is to know how exactly put in the loads or tell the loads to the program.

Since you do a lot with the program anc communicate with the PowerLine company, do you think they will issue a manual on how to analize or design telecomunication poles in PLS-POLE. I have seen the current manual and it is sort of general, hardly to get any info on EIA loads.

I would like to keep this forum open so any replies will be very helpful.

Thank you

Marcello Posada
Project Engineer
PennSummit Tubular

Marcello;
Take a look at this paper by Dan Horn:
which deals with base plate design.

Also, get the latest PLS-POLE manual from their web site thru the Help menu and take a look at the various Tech Notes on their web site (use the site search feature). I would read the latest EIA code and then re-read the pole manual to familiarize myself with how they analyze the tubular poles and how they implement the EIA loadings. If you are designing tubular poles, take a look at the pole designer function. Their shaft optomizer uses a brute force method to design 1000's of poles and selects the lightest one. They also have a base plate designer built in, but it is a compromise from several methods in use around the industry. It does a good job of determining the bolt loads for the anchor bolts and you can over ride the plate bending length to suit your companies assumptions. (Everyone has their own assumptions about base plate design)

Thanks for all of teh responses. Since last I have obtained the newest version of PLS-SPOLE and have my program running along side with it. I am trying to do designs of monopoles for the telecommunication induxtry using PLS-POLE and have come to a stop on the usage of the new equations on the Revsion G of the TIA manual.

Anyone outthere with a little more knowledge of the manual that can guide me through it.

We just ordered the new Rev G (a little over $400) and have not had a chance to digest it yet. The biggest change is the use of 3 sec gust wind from what I hear. I've played with Rev G a little in PLS-POLE and from what the programmer tells me the program takes care of all the wind on pole loads for you. It seems that you would input the antenna area and the linear appurtance area and the program handles the rest. If you need to verify that PLS-POLE is giving the correct loads, you might do an example problem and wade through Rev G by hand to see if the program gives correct loads. That's what I plan to do when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back