design pressure, MAP, MAWP, hydrostatic test, horizontal vessel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike-Carlson

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2017
IR
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions about designing of a horizontal pressure vessel (to be more specific, a pipeline pig receiver) according to ASME Sec 8 div 1. TL to TL length is 12010 mm and, ID is 76.2mm, lethal service, operating pressure is 127.2 barg and operating temperature is 35/52 C:
1- How should I specify the design pressure, MAP and MAWP?
2- Should the vessel be hydro-statically tested in the horizontal condition? if so how should I specify the hydrostatic pressure?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you everyone.
Just for your information I double checked the drawing and LittleInch is right, OD is 30 inches not ID. Also of course the designer should consider the pipeline ID (and pig size) when deciding on the receiver ID.

Regards,

On reflection, use of PV code for receiver design may not be as common as I indicated previously. (I found a drawing from a previous project where the pipeline code was used for the pig trap designs). There should be no issue with receiver ID if the small barrel section is made from the same pipe as used for the pipeline (and designed per the pipeline code!).

Mike, to finalise this, that is my point - If the OD of both pipeline and pig trap designed as a pressure vessel is 30 inch, then the ID almost certainly will not be the same. The Pressure vessel code thickness is not calculated the same as a pipeline and will be thicker.

So to make the ID the same you either need to design it to the pipeline code and make it from the same material ( the proper way) or you need a special piece of pipe with the same ID, but thicker wt and hence a non standard OD to meet your PV design requirements. Can be done, but it's not cheap and there is no good reason - IMHO - why you should do it this way.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back