Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design Sewer Flows For Fitness Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

djohnsonhja

Civil/Environmental
Jun 17, 2005
US
My client has a fitness center with max occupancy of 300 people which includes bathrooms with showers. Does anyone have a local standard used for estimating sewer flowrates for fitness centers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be very similar to your typical household, with your diurnal variances being around 6-8 am and 6-9pm at night. I would use the high end of the 250-160 L/head/day limit.
So using sewers for adoption (UK)(who use a Peak design flow of 4000L/day/dwelling and using 3 people per house) you could calculate a Dry water design flow of220L/h/day (220*6(to get peak)*3people per house = 4000L/day/dwelling)

so say 220 l/day/person for a fitness centre...

You could check your peak flow against the flow that would result if all the showers were operating at the same time. Assume a shower head flow between 2 and 10 gpm per shower and maybe add a little more for some toilets being flushed and people washing their hands (1-2 gpm).

Daily flows from NJ requirements:

About pg 2 or pg 3 there is a table of uses that includes clubs.

The figures there look high to me, but they may include some items like staem rooms saunas pools and the like. If I was going to use a number I would use a daily flow per patron close to what francesca is saying. From similar tables I have seen:

Schools, day (without cafeterias, gyms or showers per student and employe) 15 gpd

Schools, day (with cafeterias, but no gym or showers per student and employe) 20 gpd

Schools, day (with cafeterias, gym and showers per student and employe) 25 gpd

For a club I would probably start with a daily flow of about 10 gpd/patron & employee and adjust higher if the club had water intensive amenities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back