Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design & sizing of three phase separator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSHARMA

Petroleum
Sep 1, 2003
IN
sir,
I am working on three phase separator for oil & gas industruy . I am following API 12J but three phase separator is not covered in detail. Can you suggest some conventional method to aprroximately size a three phase separator.The retention time is assumed to be 5 Minutes for horizontal separator. The liberated gas shall pass through vane pack demister so as to allow particles of 100 micron or more to fall back in the separator.The books can also be mentioned which details the sizing of three phase separator.Incase any website , the same may be mentioned.
Expecting an early feedback
sssharma

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok Mr. Sharma

What kind of fluids are you working on?

You should give more data, (i.e. flow Rate, Specific Gravity of the fluids, temperature, pressure etc.), if you want more help of the people of this forum.

Most common applications of three phase separator´s are for gas-oil-water, or gas-condensate-Glycol.

I think you could take a look to the GPSA data book,and the J.M Campbell "Gas Conditioning and Processing".

Good luck my friend

Check this reference:
Chemical Engineering Progress, September 1994, p.29, "Successfully Specify Three-Phase Separators" by W. D. Monnery and W. Y. Svrcek
For sizing Demister, you might need other references.
The main principle used in this reference is: time for gravity settling of the droplets must be less than resident time.
Good luck

sir ,
As desired by Monagas,the additional details for sizing of three phase separator are as follows:
Flow rate through three phase separator shall be 1000m3/day of liquid with water content varying from 20-40% and assiacoated gas of 75000m3/day .
The specific gravity of oil -0.84, gas -0.76 7 water -1.0
The operating Pressure shall be 7.5 kg/cm2 and temp shall be 45-55 deg C.The design pressure/temp. shall be 10 kg/cm2 and 75 deg C.
The liberated and outgoing gas should have particles less than 100m micron size.
5 minutes retention time is preferred for better separtaion .
The approx. size of horizontal separator is required .
The technical literature available on this may also be referred
regards
sssharma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back