Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design Software Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking into the purchase of an analysis/ design package which has the ability to analyze underground concrete tanks and walls. Please share any experiences with software used for this purpose. Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never heard of a software developed specifically for this application. In fact, most general software programs have this capability as does a qualified engineer using a spreadsheet.

If you're in the market for a general analysis program and intend to do other designs I recommend that you check into AISC's website and publication for software surveys and also check out the magazine and website for Structural Engineer as they also survey engineers software. The latter can be found at

Thanks for the helpful reply.
Which General Analysis programs offer the best plate or shell analysis results? (which I would need for concrete design) It seems that steel frame analysis and design is the only major focus with most of the major software packages. So, I was wondering if anyone here with some software concrete design experience could help me find the best fit software that could analyze both the steel and concrete structures effectively.

There are several packages about which could help you. Where are you based i.e. what codes do you need to design to?
In the UK you can search through under IT and there is a list of several companies which have a product to suit your needs e.g. CADS, CSC.
Some of these may support US codes as well.

Thanks jifbird. I am in the US(Ohio), so I will need to look into the US code support. I requested some demos, but I would like to know what software in this area you find most useful and effective? CSC seems to have a very complete software package line and TEDDS. True? Anyway, I thank you for your input.

There are several excellent packages for analysis and design in the UK. All of them seem to have something that the others don't, but none of them have everything. Therefore it is important to carry on as you are and get demos for any software you are interested in. If a software supplier can't, or won't, give you a demo version then before you talk to their salesman prepare a detailed list of what you want their software to do for you. Then make them demonstrate it - if they won't spend the time then you don't spend your money!

I have not used it but a friend uses ROBOT which I think has US codes and a demo version. It is apparently very good as an analysis/design tool.
web site:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back