Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Software 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

privateer

Civil/Environmental
Feb 19, 2002
US
I'm looking for some software to help in designs of base plates, footings, some concrete, retaining walls. I have an analysis program for my frames. I'm looking for something to handle the ancillary components for our designs, like the base plates, footings, etc. I'm currently looking at STAAD.etc, it seems to have everything I need.

Anyone use this program? How do you like it? Any comments on other packages that ya'll like to use?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Staad.etc is quite good. Their new wind load is only for ASCE 7-95 and not 98. That is the only problem I saw. They even have a small analysis package.

privateer,

STADD.etc is good to its capacity but consider RISA-3D also. They have good set of ancillary components like base plates, foundation etc. I found it a good tool for finite element analysis.

My personal opinion - If I had to choose between paying for RISA vs. using STAAD for free - I'd go with RISA.

Compared both RISA and STAAD. Seems like you get more stuff with STAAD. Also, it looks like STAAD can do more. For instance, STAAD can do combined footings, where RISA only does singly loaded spread footings (?)

What do ya'll think?

Check out these two threads on STAAD:

thread507-7222

thread507-16974

There are also many others - do a search using the keyword STAAD and you can review what others have said about it.

My $0.02, I only use general structural analysis programs for the purpose of indeterminate structural analysis and never use the associated ancillary design programs. I use a combination of spreadsheet and mathematical programs which have been set up and updated by myself to the various codes used in my practice.

STAAD is a good software and can give what designers need most. However, try for Robot Millenium it has more features and output options than STAAD. It saves you from a lot of minor tedious work in presenting your calculation skecthes etc. You have more options is reinforcement selection and all dsign criteria paramaters. Above all, it is very user friendly.

CSI has also very good packages.

GT STRUDL, is in my opinion, the most well documented and tested design software available. Also, it is the only structural software certified by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (which is a superior accomplishment).The documentation and tests required to keep this certification are amazing.

However,it is a pain to learn to use.

Risa is easiest and fastest to me.

I find Risa's base plate and footing design programs much easier to use than Staad's.

You may also want to look at Enercalc.

Staad.etc has a lot more modules than RISA. And it is connected dierctly with their main program. Both are good for base plates and footings. But STAAD also does spread footings, slab design ,shear walls, etc. I used Enercalc but switched to STAd.etc because it had more quality modules. They also provide step by step calculatins explaining every formula and intermediate value which RISA does not provide (neither does Enercalc).

haynewp, STAAD also says they are certified by NRC along with ISO 9001??? Anyway, let's not start another one of these STAAD vs. the world threads. It does not make sense. People will bash, people will support. Let's answer the threads that have to do with real work rather than become the Ralph Nader of strucutrual softwware!

Having used STAAD, Enercalc, and RamSteel, my personal preference is Ram. It can handle the design of a superstructure, and using those loads design baseplates and foundations. (though I don't know if it can handle retaining walls - I'd have to check. I usually use Enercalc for that.)

I like STRAP very much... Unfortunatly I can't say I know STAAD... I know some others - SAP2000, Robot Millenium, etc... STRAP is better than those...

Here in Europe STAAD doesn't sell much

I use STAAD because it has high-end as well as low-end features made easy to use. It can also do group footings, moment connections and base plate design all in the same environment. I used to use Strudl and ISA (for footings), but now use STAAD and STAAD.ETC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back