Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design table driven equations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulnKY

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2004
US
I think I have seen this but I am having a syntax issue.

For example, I have an equation; "numholes 1"=4 in an assembly. Can I change that number four using a design table and what is the syntax in the design table to do so?

That equation controls the hole pattern in four parts where they all bolt together.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simplest way to populate a DT is to manually create at least two configs, then use the auto-create option when inserting the DT.

or

With the DT open & with the next available cell highlighted, double click on the hole pattern (int the FM) to show the qty in the graphics area, then click on the qty to insert it into the DT.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

cor,
thanks for the suggestion, I ended up putting a dummy part in and putting the hole patterns on that part at the assembly level. Then I linked the values of the assembly hole patterns to the part hole patterns with equations.

You don't have to link equations to do this in the assembly. Put your part to be patterned in the first hole in the assembly, the hole that drives the pattern. Then use a "Feature driven component pattern" rather than a circular or linear pattern. It allows you to choose the feature, in this case the circular pattern in the part.

No equation linking required and quantity and spacing updates accordingly.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP3.0 on WinXP SP2

Gil, I think you misunderstand.

Picture a box that bolts together at the corners, say there are a minimum of three bolt holes at equal spacing. As the box gets taller, more bolts are needed, the distance between the holes is constant. As it gets taller more holes are popped in.

That is where the Fill Pattern function in SW06 would be a perfect fit.
Constrain the "fill area" so that it changes with the part length & the pattern feature will automagically populate the area.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Yeah, appears I did. Sounds like you want to control a variable in the assembly from the design table, something Solidworks cannot do.

The only woraround (which you may have found) is to create some sort of assy feature and use that dimension to control the pattern in the DT. I've done it with a reference sketch. Just added a line with a dimension that acts as the "pattern" number. Then link your equations to that.

After you're done, fill out an enhacment request for the Global Variables to able to be controlled from a DT and configurable.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP3.0 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back