Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Table Excel file (External vs Embedded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarr

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2006
US
I would like to know if there are any advantages or disadvantages to using a Design Table that is linked to an external file versus just embedding the Design Table in the Solidworks file.

Currently, I am leaning towards using the Design Table that is embedded in the Solidworks file because I do not want to manage two separate files. However, one time I had a corrupted Solidworks file so I lost the model as well as the Design Table. Anyone else have an opinion on which option is better?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An external DTs usefulness is entirely dependent upon its application.

One external DT can be referenced by multiple parts or assys.

It can also be accessed and edited without SW running, or without even having access to SW.

If external access to the DT is not required, then a single internal DT makes sense. The additional file is unnecessary.

[cheers]

I have had issues with external tables that had multiple SW parts associated to it. I had all the parts that were open and referencing one excel sheet get corrupted. Tech support just said don't do that. With no solution. Hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Just a suggestion on how we do things...

We a copy of the dt burried on our server. That excel file doesn't get updated but atleast we have a base to start with if the SW files ever get corrupted...

Grant
Applications Engineer
SW2008 X64 SP 3.1
Dell Precision T5400
Nvidia Quadro FX 5600
Xeon 2.5GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM
XP Pro X64 SP2.0

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'll be using an internal/embedded DT and then just backing these up on our server somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back