Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Table messed up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacek0841

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2005
CA
Yesterday I have upgraded from SP 0.0 to SP 5.0 on SW 2006

I have had many drawings were the weights in the BOM were given in kg and lb, in two different columns. The calculations were done via "automatically" populated Design Table. The model was in kg (Document Properties)

Now, after update the "calculated" value (which is lb, calculated as say : =D3*2.2 where D3 has value in kg) gets #VALUE in the Design Table - without doing anything on my part, just opening the previously correct model and dwg.

Nothing helps.

Anybody has seen that ? What happened ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Good afternoon, I am thinking that somehow the format of the D3 cell has changed to TEXT, and this is causing the error.

I have seen this happen before and the only way we were able to avoid this problem was by turning the following design table setting ON:
"Block model edits that would update the design table"

You may want to go to Excel and check the format of the D3 cell (to see if it has changed to TEXT or something else).

Hope this helps,

Joseph

I guess I will have to call IT man - on one model, when I click on the Design Table and select Edit Table the message says: "Failed to launch sever application".

Hi,

Good afternoon, here is a tip from the SolidWorks Knowledge Base:

Try number 4 first

Question:
Error - "failed to launch server application" when editing Design Table. Why?

Answer:
Check the following:

1)Test whether this happens with a particular file (then this can be a matter of file corruption also) or happens with all files.
2)Try reinstalling SolidWorks making sure that antivirus software is not switched ON neither it should launch by itself in the next reboot. Restart the system and then confirm if the error still exists.
3)Test inserting excel (OLE) into other Microsoft applications as MS Word and try editing that. This helps to identify if this is a general OLE insertion issue (not specific to SolidWorks)
4)Make sure to disable all add-ins from within Excel itself.
5)Make sure there are no extra Excel processes running in the background.

Uninstalled and reinstalled SW2006 and SP5.0 the antivirus un-istalled from the computer.

Error still exists.

BTW, when the antivirus was on the computer, I would notice, that after switching the antivirus OFF it would automatically turn itself ON after about 3 minutes (that also happened during installation of SW).

Has anybody seen THAT ???

Hello jacek0841,

You may want to stop the anti-virus service all together when you are re-installing SolidWorks.

From the Windows Control Panel go to Administrative Tools then Services.

Best regards,

Joseph

You may want to stop the anti-virus service all together when you are re-installing SolidWorks.

I did - I un-installed the antivirus completely for the installation (due to that strange behaviour of turning itself ON without being asked to do so).

BTW, I just tried to do that weight calcs via Design Table on identical simple model but under SW 2005 SP 5.0 It works, no sweat.

It also worked in the past under SW 2006 SP 0.0 - but it does NOT under SP 5.0

Also noticed - in the "self populated" Design Table SW 2005 SP 5.0 (where it WORKS) in the column $PRP@Weight_kg there is a number 3.8 and in the column $PRP@Weight_lb there is a number 8.3, which are also repeated in the "pull down" File ---> Properties.

Under SW2006 SP 0.0 was the same (and it WORKED).

After applying SP 5.0 to SW 2006 $PRP@Weight_kg there is a number "SW-Mass@@Default@Scrap.SLDPRT" and in the column $PRP@Weight_lb there is #VALUE. The same crap is repeated in the "pull down" File ---> Properties.

All the above cells are formatted as Number, one dec. digit

To me it looks like SP 5.0 for 2006 is the culprit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back