Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Table Part file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

newma

Automotive
Mar 11, 2011
CA
I just started creating a design library parts for our common components using design table feature ... but I noticed a surprising file size increase from the original part vs. the one witht a design table of several comfigurations.

- Original one configuration file size 587kb
- Same file but with a design table for (13) configuration 3.46Mb

is this a normal increase or there's any optimization procedure I should apply?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The SLDPRT saves the solution to each configuration. If you do a save-as the extra data will be wiped and only the current configuration's data will be saved. Once you activate another configuration the extra data from that one will be added if you save. I routinely have 100+ configurations with a +5MB per configuration so I know your pain. I believe SWx does this to improve load times since it does not need to solve and only needs to load the part. Depending on your application this may help.

Rob Stupplebeen

Thanks guys for quick reply ... so far the only bad thing about this is the saving time as it takes quite long time to finish.

Rob, I've tried save as and it works very fast but I can't keep changing file name and links to drawing and assembly.

for same reason it works only when I change the file name, otherwise it take the same time if I use the same name !!!

any idea?

This is interesting me... My biggest client has most of their fixings set up as config's. This is quite useful, but I'm starting to wonder if it could be causing performance drops. The assembly I'm currently working on has several hundred fasteners, most of which are generated as config's. I just checked the size of the file for a hex-head bolt (as an example) and it's 1782kb versus around 300kb for ones I created from toolbox.

Obviously multiples of hundreds of these config's, is going to increase file size a lot, but is it going to create a noticable performance drop? I.e. longer to open, etc?

But if many of these fasteners are from the same part file, then you would not load this file more then once even if you use 100 of them. and that in my mind would compensate that the file is bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back