Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Tables - referencing driven dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BStoner

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2003
US
I am currently working on creating a composite print for a group of similar parts. These parts all have been generated using a design table. I have inserted the design table on the drawing. My question is it possible to reference a driven dimension on the design table. The other option I have is to create an equation to calculate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can include a driven dimension in Design Table. SW2003 does not accept add via double click, which means the value must be entered as result of an Excel calculation. For live update this implies all controlling variables must also be in the design table. Don't know if 2004 will permit dblclk entry.

SW04 will allow a double entry of a driven dimension into a DT.

BStoner,

In my first post - "But you can't actually drive it with the DT since it's a Driven Dimension."

A Driven dimension is controlled by other dimensions in the model. If you setup your DT with correct formula's you can get the cell to change, but don't expect it to update the "Actual" Driven Dimension.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

I don't see how this could be an ER. You have to understand the meaning of "Driven" is. A Driven Dim is to all accounts a "Reference Dimension". It cannot be updated by a DT or by a user (double clicking to change it manaully). It can only change by what it is referencing.

If you can change manually, then a DT could change it. But if it not, then it can't be changed. An ER isn't going to make much of a Difference, because it's a Reference Dim (IMO)

Good Luck... Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

Scott,

I believe that this could be a valuable tool that is currently missing. Currently when using a design table for a print you are limited to the dimensions that are driving. Often people will want to know what the reference / driven dimension is. What I want is a method to easily and accurately represent this information in the design table when it is used in prints. The current options available to communicate this information is limited to manually typing it into the design table (which opens up an opportunity for errors) or to create an equation that will calculate what that dimension should be.

Also along these lines one could go through and populate the design table with information such as mass, volume...

You need to learn to use Excel. You can use equations, VBA, and formulas in Excel to show this information in a DT. It will not update the actual dimension, because it's reference, but it will accuratly show it in the DT.

A Driven dimension is controlled by dimensions. So put those controlling dimensions in your DT and write a formula to show this in that cell

e.g. (Cell C3) Forumla used "=Sum(A3-B3)"

A3= 10
B3= 4

C3 = 6

As you change cells "A" and "B", so will C3. This will populate automatically in the cell.

You can see some VBA and Excel examples at my site.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

Scott,

If you reread my posts you will notice I'm currently using Excel to do so. I'm just looking for a more time efficient manor of getting the results. After all the information is already there, why should I spend the time recreating it.

Along this same topic, is it possible to add an excel file into a Solidworks drawing and then add dimensions from the drawing into the excel file if you don't have a design table? This is a single part with no configuarations and no design table. Some of the dimensions are created in the drawing and not inserted with the model, could these be added also? I would like to do this because we create inspection reports with the important dimensions from the print that go to the shop with the prints and it would be nice if we could add them directly from a drawing in SW2004 instead of retyping them.

mncad

Go ahead and place the ER, but I really don't see the point in it. Because it comes down to being a Excel issue, not a SW issue. Because the dimension is a Reference and it doesn't follow anything, but what it references. if it was to follow a DT or user input, then there would be some very large issues, and that would go against the idea of a reference dimension is. If that's what you need then make it a driving dim instead.

Regards.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

BStoner
When I place a driven dimension into a DT, it is automatically updated (in the DT) when the Driving dims are changed. Similarly, a Driven dim placed in a drawing updates when the models Driving dims are changed.

Are you saying yours doesn't?

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[smile] Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have [smile]

I did a simple experiment with an extruded block with two configs and a design table.

Results
•Driven dimensions that are part of a feature or sketch can be put into a design table
•Driven feature dimensions update in the DT when the configs are rebuilt. To update all driven dims in a DT all configs need to rebuild.
•Reference dimensions (i.e. "RD1@Annotations", not dims that are part of sketch or feature) do not update in DT

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

For a few years now we have been reading driven dimensions into our design tables and using them in formulas to control other features in the model. What got us going on this was the discovery of the "Excel to SolidWorks Link Template" posted by Rick Chin, Product Marketing, SolidWorks Corp. The file ExcelLink.zip can be download from

Cory & TheTick,

I have found the error in my ways. The option to "Allow model edits to update the design table" must be enabled in order for this to happen. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back