Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

drayflatt

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2002
US
Has anyone come up with an API or other work around that will allow spreadsheets created in "Open Office" to be used for design tables in Solid Works? I hate to make Bill mad but my organization is trying to save $$$ by using freeware and I have been tasked to research a solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW03 and previous versions rely only on Excel for design tables.

SW04 moves away from Excel for this functionality, but I don't think that will mean that you will be able to use Open Office.

MadMango
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I know that BOM's will be handled internal to SW but I was not aware that design tables will work the same way. Thanks for your response.

Maybe if you could find a spreadsheet package that would save as EXCEL files.
then - at least - you could write your design table apart from SolidWorks.
Then - from within - insert the design table from an external file.
I know it's an obvious solution - but sometimes I overlook the obvious - I hope I'm not the only one.
It would be a cumbersome work-around at best.
Does anyone know if you could use an earlier version of Excel - one so old it's practically free?
We're using Excell 2000 with SolidWorks 2003.

tatej [sub][idea][/sub] usfilter.com

DrayFlatt
030203usf_prv.gif

Try downloading EasyOffice 5.81 from ZdNet at I have not used the product but they claim that their word processor and spreadsheet are compatible with Microsoft Word and Excel files. At $28, it is at least worth checking out. You might also want to try 602Pro PC SUITE at It is a free package that is also supposed to be compatible.

Lee
040103star_tip_hat_md_clr_prv.gif

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

SW 2004 still uses Excel to do Design Tables. Through the API you can open a part or assembly, and create a design table from an external file, whcih could be from anything that is Excel compatible. So OpenOffice or the others mentioned should work.

Also, using the API, you could open the part or assembly, and DELETE the Design Table and reinsert it. If you open the part or assembly and try to EDIT the design table, and you don't have Excel, it is going to hose you.

Does that help?

-----------
Mr. Pickles

I could be wrong, but I believe Excel is needed even to insert a design table from an existing *.xls file.

Basically, if you want a design table, YOU NEED EXCEL.

I did it once a year or so ago. But perhaps even though I blew away all my M$ Office stuff (in an attempt to correct a different issue), all my M$ Office stuff wasn't really blown away. You know, like deleting M$ Internet Explorer doesn't really delete it...

Next time I croak my system and rebuild it, I will try it again without M$ Office installed.

-----------
Mr. Pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back