Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design verification of existing Pressure Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

manj1987

Electrical
Apr 12, 2011
QA

I have a proposal in which I will have to verify and model couple of pressure vessels on PVElite. I am not sure exact why they want to remodel them. I have raised below clarification. Kindly comment if someone has done similar task:

1- Our scope is to verify existing pressure vessel as per latest UT report(thickness) and taking design and dimensional parameters from existing As-built drawings, calculation and data sheet. Client to
confirm.
2- Verification will be done against latest ASME code and with main objective is to know if de-rating the equipment is needed or not based on vessel thickness and nozzle reinforcement. Client to confirm.
3- Any further assessment as per fitness for service standard API 579 will not be part of scope.
4- Client to confirm that along with latest ASME, vessel need to be verified for latest client specification. Client to confirm
5- Client to provide As-built drawings, calculation and data sheet for every equipment. Client to confirm.
6- UT report(thickness report) will be provided by client. Client to confirm.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Material reports and test data?
Construction reports / tests?

Why don't they just hydrotest it?

If you have pits or areas of corrosion are you going to assume a uniform thickness?

I thought PVElite was for designing new vessels?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There is no material study/CMP . My understanding is first they just want to just rerun the ASME calculation on software to know if there will some impact due to reduced thickness. To be honest I am not 100% sure why they want to remodel. Above are just my assumption as base line.

That's my point though. How is reduction in wall thickness being used?

A global reduction?
Can PVE do local reductions?
Surely there will be a reduction in MAWP if some metal has disappeared

Pitting is not easy to assess unless you take a conservative view and regard the entire wall thickness as gone.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

If the original vessels were designed with a higher factor of safety, you'll see reduced thickness when you re-run the design- but I don't know that that reduction is normally allowed in the evaluation of existing vessels.

if you are using UT reports for the thicknesses it is likely that they are seeing if the vessel needs to be de-rated due to corrosion. This way they don't have to look at the calculations and figure out if it is still good. I see this all the time.

But if you are not adding any new components to the pressure boundary, you should run it to the year/addenda that the vessel was built to, not the current code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back