Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design Wind Pressure sign (+/-) convention using Coefficients GCpf and GCpi 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG-E

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2018
US
I am designing the attachment for PV modules to a roof. I found a very helpful paper that explains how to use ASCE-7 for this purpose, though ASCE-7 is silent on the subject. The example is a near perfect match for my project except I am dealing with a higher wind velocity.

I follow the procedure and get the correct values when working through the example, except my values are positive (+) vs negative (-) as in the example.
Table_example_1_for_Design_wind_Pressure_merwkr.png

The equation is p=q(GCpf-GCpi) q=19, => 19(0.3-(-.69)) = 18.81 but example shows -18.81
When solving for the Downward Pressure (last column) 19(-0.3-(-.69)) = 7.41, again the signs are reversed.

Am I supposed to just know which direction the resulting pressure is and apply the correct sign vs following algebraic rules?

Table 2 and the procedure can be found @
Thanks
Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have reversed the terms GCpf and GCpi.
For uplift, you should have 19(-0.69 - 0.3) = -18.81
For downward pressure, it should be 19(-0.69 -(-0.3)) = -7.41

BA

The sign convention most codes use is negative pressures act away from the surface (i.e. suction), this applies to internal and external pressures.

You made my night. The eyes are not were they once were. Obvious error on my part.
Now onto bolts and brackets I am familiar with.

Thanks again.

Joe

@BAretired
I just looked at the first example where I got the correct answer. The coefficient columns were in reverse order from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back