Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design wind speeds for countries outside USA. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK123

Structural
Oct 1, 2006
DE
I have a few projects where I need to select design wind speeds in foreign countries - Italy, Greece, Turkey, etc..

In looking at the wind provision of the IBC - they refer to the ASCE-07 code. No problem, but ASCE 07 has wind contours for the US only. Where can I get design speed wind contours for some of the European countries that meets the IBC ?

Anyone with a project overseas have a problem like this ?

Thanks for any input.

SAK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to find out what the adopted code is in each country. That will pint you in the right direction. I would guess Eurocode in at least Italy and Greece, but that's pure speculation.

Well, I am going to ask the question: Why have an IBC (INTERNATIONAL Building Code) ?

I do not practice in the traditional structural engineering field, and I thought that IBC was a world wide code adopted by other countries.

Is this not true ?

Thanks.

What's the non-traditional field?

We can't even come to a consensus in the US on an adopted Code (although admittedly we're moving toward the IBC), how can you expect the world to come to a consensus. China and Russia vetoed a UN resolution condemning MASS MURDER in Syria. You expect the world to agree on a building code?

Hello,

I usually use Holmes' Wind Loading of Structures Appendix D. Here an overview of wind conditions in diffrent countries is listed.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back