Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design work for use in another state 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjr6550

Structural
Jun 27, 2006
US
I have searched state licensing requirements and cannot find an ansewer for this question. I have been asked to perform structural engineering for someone in my state (PA) who is constructing a house in another state. I suggested they hire an engineer in that state, but they want to work with someone local. They indicated to me that the area where the home will be constructed in rural and does not have a building code or require stamped drawings. My question is whether it is legal for me to perform these engineering services and perhaps just stamp my calculations and possibly some detail drawings if the structure will be built in another state. This question assumes that that state does not require a P.E. Seal.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So in State A, its OK for a local non-engineer to draw up a set of house plans, but it is illegal for an engineer in another state to draw up house plans in that state?

That doesn't make sense to me.

Why not apply for comity and obtain a PE license in the other state? Depending on the fee for the project, this may be a worthwhile option. It would certainly appear to simplify matters.

I hate to say it, but there may be some overanalyzing going on here...

The house would still be covered by the IRC, even if it's of a size and design that allows the prescriptive methods included in the code to be used in lieu of separate structural analysis.

I work for a homebuilder and we ship homes all over the world. We ensure that our products meet local code requirements and if required, obtain a structural stamp on our drawings and design for the applicable US state. If no stamp is required, we still do some calculations to ensure that the design meets local code, but we send unsealed construction docs and no calcs. We've never had a code official have a problem with this.

If you establish from the local building department that a stamp is not required for your size/configuration of house, just design what needs to be done and move on. Clearly, if the house needs a stamp, the stamp will have to be from the state where the house will be built.

JAE, I'm talking about providing structural engineering services, not drafting/providing architectural drawings for a house. mjr wrote that he (she?) was asked to provide structural engineering for a project in a state other than the one where he is licensed. Every state where I am licensed has laws stating that if you are providing engineering services in that state, you must be licensed in that state. Even if the house falls under the prescriptive requirements of the IRC and no PE seal is required, providing engineering services is providing engineering services. just sayin'.

archeng59 - I understand what you are saying.

But many states actually exempt certain structures from their engineering act. So when residential houses smaller than a certain square-foot area are exempt from the act, you don't have to be licensed in that state to design the house, even if you are licensed in another state.

Many homes (most homes?) are designed by non-engineers. So if I, as and engineer, go to another state and design a house that isn't required to have a PE seal, I should be OK provide that state has a stated exemptionin their laws that say PE-status isn't required for homes, etc.

Hey the basic issue here is whether the state requires you to have a firm or individual permit (different than a PE license) to do work in that state. You can be fined if caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back