Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designing a beam (repeated, one direction stress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfridge

Industrial
Oct 21, 2004
CA
Hey everyone,

I have a steel W10x49 beam with a distributed pressure of 80 psi being applied to it (over a length of 90"). The beam is fixed at both ends. The pressure is applied and is held anywhere from 30 min to 12 hours.

I was looking through a machine design book (Mott) and it looked like this was repeated, one-direction fluctuating stress, since I will be applying and removing the load many times.

Since I already have this material, this is only really for my own interest. But what is the proper way to design for this type of stress? Is there a way to determine how many cycles it can go through before it might fail? The book mentions the Goodman method and such, but I wasn't really sure how to apply it. Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Calculate stress in the beam due to the pressure loading. Look at the Goodman curve for the material...it will be stress vs. cycles. For the given max. stress, see how many cycles it will handle.

GBor,

Thanks for responding. I calculated (using the worst case of the beam being simply supported) that the maximum stress would be 15000 psi.

Are there Goodman curves for various materials available online? I searched but I couldn't find one, or do I have to develop the goodman curve myself?

mcfridge,

Wish I knew. The site that Wes C. has gives some good information, but search the Materials and Metallurgy forum...they've probably had this question more than once. What type of steel is it? Is this just an "over-the-counter" wide flange?

15 ksi shouldn't be a problem to any type of steel (i'd imagine almost infinite life) ... a key consideration is the local geometry (holes and steps mostly) that create stress concentrations (but even with a Kt=3, open hole, 15 ksi should have a long life).

another thought, since the beam is cantilevered, then the support is reacting a couple, so there is load transfer out of the beam flanges into the support ... this is significant to the stress concentration.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back