Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

designing a parallel- port interfaced motor position controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello
I want to make a design for a motor position controller.
I want to use a parallel port interface. Could you help me with ideas on how to get feedback to the computer?
Thankx a lot for your help
truely appreciate it ;-)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear nbucska
It's me Amool, I registered with eng-tips.
Thankx for the reply
Actually I'm doing a project on an ASRS (automated storage retrieval system). it has 2 motors and tachometers for position feedback. What I would like to know is how you get the feedbak signal to the computer and how to send the control signal; I want to know how to deal with the parallel port. I want to use visual basic for programming.
Many thanks for your help

Amal
asrsproject@hotmail.com

You may want to use the parallel port with a dll from visualbasic called "inpout".

Just do a search for it, I used it some time ago to control stepper motors from the parallel port and also for controlling a pneumatic valve.

Also check a book called
"Controlling your world with your PC" - Bergman
it describes a step by step approach to parallel and other cheap comm w/ steppers, relays etc

Good Luck

B & B electronics has serial port and Parallel port data IO devices. They are very inexpensive and we've used them lately with sucess. Devices often include both Input channels and output channels so feedback is no problem. Amool and nbucska should both check out their website and get a copy of their catalog. The catalog is better than the website (better pictures) for an amature like me.
My friend and co-worker, the electrical engineer says:
Controlling devices thru serial ports or parallel ports may be difficult because the latest operating systems (NT,etc) do not give up control of the port, and you have to go thru windows services. This would make high speed feedback control more difficult. We use the ports to turn off, turn on or pass macro like commands to smart components and then check for compliance. We have in place a greenleaf 8 port serial card and are controlling cameras, microscopes, stages, lights, filterwheels, and more.

(815) 433-5100.

Hi Walter:
Your EE friend is right -- I wouldn't use WINDOWS under any
condition for it is too slow but DOS.

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Hi all,
I'm also engaged in suchha project please mail me any thing that u need might think cud be useful.
specifications of my proj
1. I wanna use vc or vb
2. I wanna design an automated arm controlled by parallel port all I need is a description of howto change the regoster values I'm using PIII 1004 MHz coppermine core Microprocessor under win2000 OS
thanx in Advance

Hi paralelomatic
I've finished my project and I've got much help from this forum's members I can send you and any one who needs such info some programs that I made using VB and on win95 (I used win95io.dll) to communicate with the Lpt because vb can't deal with it directly and some explanation too
just email me on asrsproject@hotmail.com
subject: paralelomatic
but for noe basically You need to gdownload this file (win95io.dll) from and then you can use two simple comamnds to change the register's value.
You can get a A VERY helpful start from
About VC... I've noticed that C could be better for such applications... perhaps the other guys can advice you on that

Good Luck

Good Luck

Hello all,
I despratly need a help here. I'm onto stepper motor programming and circuit.I don't have such a big knowledge in VB. Could anyone help me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back