Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

designing a power system simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeshakar

Electrical
Sep 29, 2015
IN
i study EE engineering and we have a power system package which executes gauss siedel mathod,newton raphson method and fast decoupeled method for load flow studies.
But i want to build my own such package how to build one how do i start to work in such platform What are the prerequisites should i have?
I know embedded c programing..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you must write your own software (which I don't recommend - I recommend using off-the-shelf software), simply get a power systems analysis book - I used Grainger and Stevenson - and write the code to execute the formulas in the text. It's not hard if you can program already and are using software with a good linear algebra library. In graduate school, I used MATLAB to write solvers for each of the power flow analysis methods you mentioned, along with algorithms for step-by-step building of the nodal bus impedance matrix using a command line interface as well as open- and short-circuit analysis routines, and I didn't spend more than two or three days doing it.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

It is certainly an interesting exercise to write a program for load flow and short circuit calculations. But is is worth of the effort? It may be, if the program shall have some special properties that are not available in existing programs. But it might take a long time to write such a program, much longer than a couple of days, especially if the program shall have a graphical user interface. (It took several years for me, see !).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back