Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Designing castings in SW 2009 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMNEW

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2009
GB
I have switched from Proe to SW and wonder what the equivalent to merged parts is in SW's.

In proe you can merge a part into a new part number, creating a refernce copy which is one feature. You can then add machining details. If casting is changed the changes replicate down through merged parts.

Basically I want to create two machined versions of one raw casting amd maintain the parametric link between casting and machining's.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CBL is correct. The option is insert casting into a new part a do the machining operation.

Start a new part. Then Insert > Part and browse to the casting part.

Deepak Gupta
SW2009 SP3.0
SW2007 SP5.0
MathCAD 14.0

GMNEW,

I used to design pneumatic tools and used SWX for this very purpose. In the early versions of SWX this functionality was achieved with Insert->Base Part. It is now simply Insert->Part as CBL said.

This is most likely the scenario you want. The Base Part represents the casting. The new part references this base part and probably only involves machining to remove material. If the casting (base part) changes then your machined part changes accordingly, as you would want it to. I used to make all my new features (cuts) in this machined part file a different color. It made it a dream to conduct design reviews with the machinists.

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back