Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Designing Retaining Walls without Geotech Reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANeng11

Civil/Environmental
Feb 18, 2015
CA
As per my title, I'm wondering if any of you would design retaining walls without geotech reports? I find often with residential projects, no geotech exists and the client does not want to pay for one. Would you say no to doing the design, or if you would design it, what would you deem as conservative and reasonable assumptions for the design parameters? If you backfill with a granular material and install a weeping tile at the bottom of the wall, can you eliminate any hydrostatic pressure and just assume a saturated soil?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We occasionally do small (<8 ft. high) retaining walls without geotech reports - usually assume 1,500 psf soil bearing and 50 pcf active lateral and either do perforated drains to daylight or a series of weep holes (2" dia. PVC pipes) through the walls at 4 to 6 feet o.c.

For small residential - the contractors usually are surprised that they can't simply trench a "footer" about 18 inches wide and build off that....and they complain.

We do smaller ones without geotech too. Since the client doesn't want to pay for a geotech, they usually do not want to pay for a design either; so we just provide the TxDOT standard walls for them. Or we just point them to the TxDOT website and let them worry about.

Does your state highway department have stock wall plans? If so, I would use them because they are empirically proven to work.

For residential and small commercial we assume the soil is bad. If we know the type of material or have geotechnical advice we use that.

Yes for smaller walls we use conservative soil values and note that its the contractor responsibility to achieve minimum compaction requirements per lift and for supporting soils. Its mostly sand around here and if they get into anything nasty they are going to have a hard time compacting and getting a density to pass. If they get good compaction then conservative soil values should be suffice. Obviously typical deleterious soil notes(muck clays, peat, trash, ect.) should also be included in your design notes but no one ever reads those anyways....Check out your states department of transportation soils and foundation manual for typical design values for different soil types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back