Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designing to ASME VIII & need compliance to PED. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMacG

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2014
GB
Hi All,

I am relativity new to designing to code (ASME VIII). I have been tasked to design a vessel intended to be sold in both America & Europe.

I therefore have to make sure:

1) The vessel complies to ASME VIII Div. 1 and to be U Stamped (When sold in America).
2) The vessel complies to PED (When sold in Europe).

I intend to design one vessel to meet all these requirements, and get it CE/U Stamped ect. dependant on where it is being sold to. (My company currently designs vessels to both ASME, and to PED. However we have no experience in designing one vessel to meet both requirements)

The broad outlines of the design requirements have been defined in terms of capacity, max. temp & pressure.

I was wondering if someone could highlight the main issues when designings to comply with both the code & directive?

My initial concerns are material compliance, hydro test pressures ect.? I understand it is possible to incorporate both requirements into one design, dependant on paperwork ect., is there any experience of issues and restraints in doing so? Cheers in advance!

Samuel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back