Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

designs NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwam2ie

Automotive
Jul 11, 2005
DE
A lot of things I miss in Nx is a strong community offers me:
FAQ about nx
a free online part library / get put parts in all categories
free macro - journal library / get put nx journals,grips
a libray with plot customizations /get put printer settings-
even the same with cam posts
combined with a board like this
links to blogs nice tips and tricks videos

a little bit I found in SW for ex in germany at that really cool.
I think we can all put a little bit information
... more than problems with Nx
a knowledge base of nice solutions :)

years ago there was something like cadpotatoe
solidnx,ugzpc,...

maybe Siemens give us webspace to start this
... ok (John) just a idea

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact GTAC and they will set you up on our user accessible BBS as well as the FAQ database. Or you can contact ' and sign-up as a 'citizen' which will give you access to their forums and download site.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

plmworld and bbs is not free to read to have any read access
you have to register. Thats Ok when you add and ask for example. That's a gap for many users. You will find this sites on a simple google search on Nx questions or some local boards in Italy,germany, Prc.You will get this board because it is free for reading. Plmworld for ex is often down. BBs is more for admins -> thats ok. Ask on this board, why they ask here and not on Plmworld or BBs.

If you're a legitimate 'user' that means you have a legitimate 'license' and therefore you can request and gain access to the BBS and/or the PLM World Forums. Why are you upset that these are 'private' domains? Doesn't the organization which pays for the cost of maintaining a forum have the right to decide who can participate and how they are to go about gaining access?

The fact that Eng-Tips is a 'public' forum is the sole responsibility of the principles at the Tecumseh Group, as it should be. They have every right to provide a 'public' forum as does Siemens PLM and PLM World, Inc have the right to provide only a 'private' environment.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Jeez John, his point is that making it private ruins its usefulness therefore creating a need an alternate solution.

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

And how is it that Eng-Tips is NOT filling that need? Besides, the concept of 'usefulness' can be very complex and nuanced.

For example, by limiting participation in GTAC's BBS to only maintenance paying customers, Siemens PLM people feel that they have more freedom as to what can be disclosed and what information can be shared, which some might hesitate to do in an 'public' forum where people who work for a competitor may be 'lurking' in the background. Therefore, from OUR point of view, this actually enhances the 'usefulness' of the BBS. And while I can't speak for the people who run the PLM World website (they are 100% independent of Siemens PLM), I suspect that they may share some of these same views and opinions.

So in conclusion, I personally think that there is value in both situations and as long as both survive and are used as one would expect that they be used, what is the problem?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back