Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desing of Mat Foundation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahuldby

Structural
Mar 21, 2004
IN
I have to design a mat foundation (22ft x 16ft). Due to some environmental issues the maximum thickness of the foundation is limited to 30 in. Here are the details.
fc = 3ksi. I have used PCA mat to design the foundation. The thickness seems to be OK for flexure, punching shear and I am getting good results. The only problem where the punching shear is not satisfied is at one of the circular columns (Dia = 2ft). Here are the punching shear check details.
vu = 199 psi and vc = 164 psi.
vu - factored shear stress at the critical section
vc - factored shear resistance of concrete (without considering shear reinforcement)

Is there any solution for this problem. Can the bars provided for flexure reinforcement account for any shear resistance. Or can I provide any extra shear reinforcement to get this 30 inch mat work. Any suggestions regarding this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to add shear reinforcement in a 30" slab if required. At a localized area, cost would be minimal.

Be sure you're figuring the critical section at the right radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back