Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detail view callout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkingit

Military
Apr 22, 2008
US
I posted this question in the ASME Forum which was probably not the right place for it, so I will re-post it here, sorry for my newbe ignorance to the layout and sections of these Forums.

In the ASME Y14 Standards I have not been able to find any information stating the proper callout for DETAIL VIEWS. Such as "SEE DETAIL A". When defining a DETAIL VIEW in Pro-E by default the view callout will include the "SEE" preceding the "DETAIL".

I have looked through Y14.3, Y14.4, Y14.24 and Y14.100 and have not found anything specific, I have found an illustration in the Y14.24 showing a callout of "SEE VIEW B" but nothing stating a Standard of such. Anyone know where I can find something with this info specific to the correct callout?

Thanks,
Martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply Brandy7. We are currently using the Standard Y14.3 2003 and referring to the 2.9 Details section it points to Figure 23. That illustrates a Phantom Line Circle with the Detail letter between the arrowheads. I do not have the 1994 release of Y14.3 so I can't verify how that illustrates the callout.

The Figure 23 is how it will show in Pro-E if the "Options" are set to "asme_94_circle" for the "detail_view_boundary_type" setting. If the setting is set to "circle" with the "view_note" setting set to "std_ansi" the "SEE DETAIL ?" will be displayed.

Thanks again,
Martin

We use Pro/E Wildfire3 here and are doing detail callouts with the cut being a complete phantom circle with a leader note pointing to it stating "SEE DETAIL A", vs the one that shows in figure 23 of Y14.3-2003. I'm now working for a rocket shop doing NASA work, but at my last job we used SOLID EDGE, which did details just like Fig 23 shows them.
I believe either way is acceptable, if that is your company standard.

In you drawing detail setup file (*.dtl) there is an option view_note that can be set to std_iso or std_ansi. Set to std_iso it omits the view related words "SECTION", "DETAIL" & SEE DETAIL". Note that this setting is not retroactive, it only affects the creation of new views. You can also edit the view notes and use any text you like except for the actual view name which is parametric & has to be changed in the view properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back