Detecting additional vehicle socket status plugged/unplugged 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTurtle

Electrical
Jul 21, 2020
NL
Dear All,

This is my first post so apologize if I made something not according to forum rules.

I'm looking for some options and hopefully an elegant solutions for the following:
I want to install a 230V socket in a vehicle(similar style campers are using) for powering some internal 230V devices and possibly charge a battery. This part is not a problem.

But here my questions start:
How would you implement a smarter system, let's say you want to prevent a person to start the vehicle and drive while the cable is plugged?
Is there a device that can somehow detect if there is something plugged and notify via CAN about the status?
My ideas would require designing my own PCB but I guess i cannot possibly be the only one with a similar problem. I know that type2 menekes used in PHEV and EV would fit my need but I think this is too much for what I need.

Hope that someone can help me to steer my research in a good way.

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about a system that will prevent the vehicle from being driven if there is a child or bicycle in front of the wheels? My point is that there are certain safety procedures that are so fundamental that it is actually unsafe to bypass them. Visual inspection of the vehicle prior to moving is one of those proceedures. Destroying an electrical plug because of carelesness is good training for the driver to be aware of one's surroundings. Some companies that operate fleets of vehicles require their drivers to place a cone behind the vehicle every time they park. This assures that the driver will go to the back of the car to pick-up the cone before moving, and in the process, make sure it is safe.

There are connectors with pull-disconnect so that even if one forgets it won't cause a problem. A similar feature is used on fueling hoses at gas stations.

However, a simple relay in the car powered from that connector could hold open the connection to the starter solenoid so the car won't start as long as voltage is present.

I don't know how a CANbus message can interfere with the start request. I would guess if the ECU is involved it is looking for the transmission to be in park and that's about it. I suppose a smaller relay could be used by a microprocessor to detect the voltage, but if the power has been disconnected, you'll need some feature on the connector, like a magnet to operate a reed-switch.

Compositepro - those back-up cameras are there because one cannot see all around the car. Even a walk-around will leave plenty of time for a child to get into a location otherwise not visible from the driver's location. The law, Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act, was championed by Cameron's father, who crushed his own child to death and fought for this technology so that it might not happen again.

"Today was 16 years in the making for Dr. Greg Gulbransen, who in 2002 accidentally backed over and killed his 2-year-old son Cameron, the namesake of the bill Congress enacted." 2018

A simple electrical detector would not detect that a lead was plugged in but not switched on. You'd need a system that detected that the lead was physically present.

One way would be to put a sprung loaded cover over the socket like the ones on my camper trailer. If the flap is open, disable the ignition.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Is this a newer vehicle?

If you had a parking sensor mounted in such a way that it would be triggered by the plug, that could give you an audible alert and tie in to existing systems pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back