Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Newer Vehicle Electronic Maintenance Nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand where your coming from but its not as easy as it appears. there are times where techs will make mistakes, I dont condone throwing parts at a vehicle at any time to diagnose. But understand there is alot of pressure in this buisness, time constraints, MONEY, and customers..etc... Yes we make sure to check alcohol levels in any engine driveability concern some people still think that they have four barrels...we dont void warranty you just give us your paychecks to fix it..

A question; (showing my own ignorance)when auto techs go through the ASE certification process, is a trus troubleshooting course taught, paths of influence, component likelihood of failure, ect?

nope, its simple theory and operation. ase certs are very general. worst of all its mostly doesmestic technology. when someone tells me there an ase mastertech i kinda say that Sh#t that you say about the fiber optics "banter, sitting in the club bar after playing 18 holes will get you an approving nod & wink from your buddies"

Slightly OT, but the reason I asked, being unfamiliar with the process, is that in the course of my recurrent aircraft maintenance training,(specifically, Citation 500 series) one of the courses was Troubleshooting skills, a 40 hr course. And one part of it was a computerized troubleshooting "game", where the students are given a series of common discrepancies,eg "no light off, fuel flow ok" ect. You had a interactive VOM, and a maintenance manual with wiring diagrams You could check connectors for shorts, wring continuity,power, change components ect, but every action had a penalty in man/hours,which was recorded on your "workorder", and when changing a part, a "cost of part" was added in, along with the labor m/h required for it's replacement. The idea being to fix the 'aircraft' in as timely & less expensive manner as possible. It was amusing (and eye-opening) to see some students spend tens of thousands of cyber dollars "fixing" a problem, by shotgunning any component remotely related to the system in question.

yea, ase's have questions like that but troubleshooting is something you have or you dont, not everyone can use an aquired knowledge to solve problems. you gotta have expirience and a good skill to build on and no amount of testing or simulated troubleshooting will give you that. i trained with bmw for almost a year 5 days a week before i went professional. that i dont think made me a good troubleshooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back