Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Detection of buried foundations

killswitchengage

Geotechnical
Jan 5, 2015
DZ
Hi

Are there any non destructive methods to detect shallow foundations inside a house without the use of trial pits ? like geophysical methods for example ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are equipments/sensors used to for rebars detection. I hope it would any different types available which will help detect concrete or can use rebars as an alternative for concrete footings.
But still you need to have specific dimensions details of the footing to approve or take any decision.

Long-story short, yes, you can do GPR on the slab to try and identify buried foundations (as well as pipes, barrels, graves, etc...). Now the effectiveness will be based on factors sch as how much reinforcement there is, what are the subgrade soils, moisture content, etc... For example, if there's a lot of rebar on the slab you might get a lot of reflections tha tmight make seeing the foundations clearly. ALso, the signal won't penetrate as deep in wet clay soils. I'd consult a local Geotech firm that also provides geophysics about how effetive they tihnk it would be since they'd be more familiar with local soils (unless oyu have a soils report already).

Long-story short, yes, you can do GPR on the slab to try and identify buried foundations (as well as pipes, barrels, graves, etc...). Now the effectiveness will be based on factors sch as how much reinforcement there is, what are the subgrade soils, moisture content, etc... For example, if there's a lot of rebar on the slab you might get a lot of reflections tha tmight make seeing the foundations clearly. ALso, the signal won't penetrate as deep in wet clay soils. I'd consult a local Geotech firm that also provides geophysics about how effetive they tihnk it would be since they'd be more familiar with local soils (unless oyu have a soils report already).
In actuality , we wanna verify that the foundations of a an existing construction meet the ULS and SLS requirements. But we can't do that if we don't have any clue on the foundation dimensions and depth

Again, it's possible, but without knowing anything about the soils or the slab you're shooting through, that's the best guess I can give you from my home office. If it does work, you could see where the foundations start and stop as well as how thick they are. I'd assume that would give you an idea of their size that you're looking for.

Back