Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

detection of CO2 with a cheap method

Status
Not open for further replies.

montavala

Chemical
Sep 12, 2000
DE
Hello. I have a problem of detection of CO2 with a cheap method. I read something about detection over the KOH solution measuring the conductivity (or the pH value). Does somebody knows more about it? The exhausted gas from my furnace contains actualy both CO and CO2, but I would like to convert it completely (some tips how to manage it would also be desirable) to CO2, and afterwards to detect it. This CO2 would be in small quantity (50-100 mg) mixed with sufficient oxygen, and is supposed to be exhausted in 50-100 h of process.
I believe there must be some efficient method to detect correct enough (10-20%) the CO2 overall quantity.

Thanks in advance.
Bojan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have converted CO in a reformate gas by bubbling through Na2Cr2O7. You will get tri chrome, which can be reoxidized at an anode. TOC detection methods will get you the CO2 levels. However, your levels are not clear from your note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back