Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

detection of rosin concentration in a flux 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtpro

Mechanical
Jul 24, 2003
US
Is any one beware of a quick method to detect the concentration of rosin in flux. The flux is used in soldering process. It normally has 95% 2-propanol, 1-2% rosin and some other additives. I'm looking for a quick, convenient way to detect the change of rosin concentration because of evaporation. Thanks for advices.

GTpro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a viscosity reading of the flux at optimal water concentration. Compare all additional readings to this temperature.

The thickness of the flux will tell you how much water has evaporated, therefore indicating the rosin concentration.

Sorry, I should have read a little more closely to begin with.

I don't think the method of testing would have to change any (you could still use a viscometer), but I'm not sure how much different the viscosity would change as a result evaporation. You'd have to get a pretty sensitive instrument to detect the changes you need to measure.

Maybe you could look into turbidity meters as well. They can be used measure the amount of suspended solids in a otherwise clear solution. I would assume that the less alcohol your flux has, the more dense the solution would become. I'm not so familar with these meters, but you could at least investigate it a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back