Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Determining a criticality plan for vibration monitoring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

YungPlantEng

Chemical
Jan 19, 2022
US
I’m trying to define a criticality system for when pumps require in-line vibration monitoring or other controls.

I work at a plant with motors from 10-250 HP. Considering that a lot of our process trains have smaller motors, I’ve had difficulty finding resources that discuss the impact of vibration monitoring on smaller HP systems. If these systems are essentially replaced with a spare and then rebuilt by vendor or in our shop, how can I determine when vibration monitoring just isn’t cost effective?

At present I’ve basically created a flow chart that takes into account whether the rotating system is direct mag drive (utilize power monitors), and whether system downtime contributes to loss of multiple process trains, utility, single process train, or batch reactor downtime. Then I looked at MTTR and availability for maintenance to establish if equipment should just be serviced on an interval.

I guess I’m kind of rambling but if anyone has any resources that cover this in depth I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> At present I’ve basically created a flow chart that takes into account whether the rotating system is direct mag drive (utilize power monitors), and whether system downtime contributes to loss of multiple process trains, utility, single process train, or batch reactor downtime. Then I looked at MTTR and availability for maintenance to establish if equipment should just be serviced on an interval

Another piece of the puzzle would be historical reliability. Some machines are problem children and you get more bang for the buck monitoring those.

I'm not sure it's what you're looking for but EPRI has a free (*) document Electric Motor Tiered Maintenance Program (* not exactly free, it'll cost you your email address). As I recall they go into gory detail about the types of things that might factor into your evaluation of the importance of a given motor (to help divide the motors into tiers of importance)

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Does your company value uptime? Are any of the motors driving machines that affect production when they go down?

If either of those answers is yes, I'd figure out how many hours it takes to replace that motor and get production running again, then the dollar value of the lost production. Add the cost of the maintenance activity itself. Now you have the real cost of that unplanned motor failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back