Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Determining positive and zero sequence parameters ( R,L & C) for XLPE underground cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitbuzben

Electrical
Dec 2, 2010
GB
Dear All

I am building a simulation model using the Simpowersytems toolbox within Matlab Simulink. I would like to model a 20km XLPE underground cable using the distributed parameters cable model contained within Simpowersystems. The cable is 3 phase and contains three conductors in a trefoil formation. The cable has a nominal voltage rating of 45kV and each conductor is 500mm^2. Details of this cable are in the attached data sheet. This Simpowersystems model requires one to enter the positive and zero sequence resistance per unit length [R1 R0], the positive and zero sequence inductance per unit length [L1 L0] and the positive and zero sequence capacitance per unit length [C1 C0] of the cable. The following link provides details of the block in Simpowersystems and the information required:
My question is how do I calculate (or infer) this data for the XLPE cable identified in the datasheet. Unfortunately the datasheet does not provide any information on symmetrical parameters. The only parameters provided in the datasheet are capacitance per unit length (uF/km), DC resistance per unit length (ohm/km) and inductance per unit length (mH/km). I am aware that Simpowersystems has a fuction to calculate R,L & C parameters called power_cableparam; however, I do not have access to this as it is only contained in the latest version of Simpowersystems (mine is from 2009).

There must be rule of thumb calculations for working these values out (based on geometry etc. of the cable. I also have a Matlab sript which is freely available on the Simpowersystms file exchange which calculates the impedance and susceptance matrices ( Z and Y) for an XlPE cable. Details of this script are in the attached word document. Would I be able to use this to obtain the R L & C values required by Simpowersystems.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back