Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Determining Slenderness Ratio for Built-Up Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

BridgEI

Structural
May 11, 2020
US
I am currently performing the structural analysis for a historic Warren truss bridge. The top & bottom chords are straightforward being effectively a built-up channel and two angles connected by lattice plates (in tension) respectively. The interior diagonal members, like the lower chord, are built-up sections tying two angles together using zig-zagging lattice plates. The Manual for Bridge Evaluation, 3rd Edition (2017) has a section in Table 6A.6.7 that discusses adjustment factors for computing an adjusted value for L/r to evaluate the column's slenderness. This section only discusses members that have batten plates and only batten plates on both sides or on one side with the opposite side having a solid plate. I have looked in the compression section of the AISC SCM, and I have read Chapter E & the commentary for the section on compressive strength of built-up sections. Chapter E & the commentary both discuss very specific criteria for proportioning in design that I have no control over in this evaluation. Furthermore, the requirements of those sections discuss the use of slip-critical bolts and welds, but nothing about rivets.

I would think there would be some adjustment for members of this type, where lattice plates connect parallel angles to act as a unit, but I don't think I can use the provisions in the MBE, and I also don't think I can use the specific design equations in the AISC. Can anyone help with this? Is there another guide I should reference? Does anyone have experience with this? I can keep going and reading literature on rivets and reading the references mentioned in the Chapter E commentary, but I would prefer to have someone tell me if that's a worthwhile venture before diving into that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know how I would include the lattice plates/lacing bars in the calculation of the radius of gyration since the cross-sectional area of those piece is changing in position along the length. My intention was to neglect those members in that calculation. I would prefer not to have to treat the compression members as two unconnected single angles though since they are intermittently connected.

That seems to make the language in the AISC SCM a little bit more clear, but I may just have to go through and check the individual criteria and go from there with reference to the Chapter E commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back