Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

developer relationship corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csask1

Civil/Environmental
Sep 17, 2008
US
I am a licensed professional in NYS and recently working under another PE firm for a developer. The other PE has left and has dissolved his company and now the developer has asked that I continue on working directly for him and an occassional outside job. I have yet to get an insurance policy until I get incorporated in order to protect my personal assets. My question is; is my professional liabilty limited if I only work for the developer and do not stamp drawings or design or reports for him. Also, can the developer be selling my services )NON-professional engineering - nothing stamped) to outside clients? Simple letter reports, cost estimates and so on....... Should I get errors and omissions insurance if I am just a "house engineer"

Where is the edge?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The following is from a FAQ on the NYS Engineering website:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Can an entity not authorized to provide professional engineering or land surveying services in New York, such as a general contractor, subcontract with a licensed professional engineer or land surveyor in order to provide such services?
No. An entity not authorized to provide professional engineering and/or land surveying services, such as a general contractor, can not subcontract with a licensed professional engineer or land surveyor in order to provide professional services to a third party client. The basis for professional regulation is that the service of the professional must be provided directly from the professional to the client without any unlicensed third party between the client and the professional. This unlicensed third party may have other interests (such as financial) that could jeopardize the level and/or quality of the professional service received by the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back