Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Developing a Quarry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlierock

Geotechnical
Dec 23, 2002
US
I have a client who wants to develop a quarry. He has miles of land with different terrain to choose from. Before I start doing test borings all over the place looking for good rock, I would like to read a book (or maybe a chapter in geotech book) on developing a quarry. Any help??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also check around with the state universities - the geology department may have developed some geologic maps that could be of interest. Your question did not indicate where the land for the quarry is located. We don't need specifics - but where is it? (A state reference will suffice.)

We do this for a living. Key issues are zoning, public sentiment, dust, water discharge, traffic, blasting vibrations, etc., etc. Some rules of thumb: one core hole per 20 acres, 3 years, 3 lawyers, $300,000. Need to prove out at least 15 years of reserves to justify a plant. Have you done a market study? Need to know the competition and how much area can absorb. Watch for geologic problems: karst, faults, water, thinning or erosion of formation, etc., etc. Can't go to bank without detailed coring and testing.

It is on an island in the pacific ocean. Others are in control of lawyers and non-engineering issues. I am looking for input on the engineering side. Thanx for the good input so far.

This could be more a mining problem than a geotechnical issue, though geotechnical problems could abound. philly frank's suggestions are good ones, though I would recommend more frequent core hole spacing than one per 20 acres. However, drill spacing depends on the nature of the formation proposed for quarrying.

Geologic mapping is a must. The USGS may have regional maps, or if not the USGS, then a local university.

You state that the proposed quarry is on an island in the pacific. Wil the market be captive? Is the product aggregate or cement or both? What about equipment sizing and selection.

As an aside, I am in real life a mining engineer and would be pleased to answer any questions directly if you care to contact me at jbabcock2@yahoo.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back