Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deviation to API 676 performance tolerance para 8.3.6 a(table 5 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpiorajan

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2011
AE
Hi,
We have some pumps for permeate extraction for Jazan project ( client : Saudi Aramco)
Type of pump: Lobe type as per API-676
The lobe is coated with elastomer/rubber material

As per the pump manufacturer " they cant comply to performance tolerance as specified in para 8.3.6 (table 5 ) of API-676.
Test tolerances will be only positive (e.g. no negative) meeting the intent of API 676, 3rd
Ed at rated capacity + 15% (max).
Instead pump manufacturer following German VDMA rules for positive displacement pumps (VDMA 24284), Class
II, Grade II are offered for rated power:
Motor tolerances:
Rated power at rated capacity:
< 5 kW + 25 %
5 - 10 kW + 20 %
11 - 50 kW + 15 %
< 50 kW + 10 %
These tolerances are applicable for Lobe pumps as rotor material will be an
elastomer/rubber material which has larger tolerance range then Rotary pumps with
metallic liners.
In this case Kindly advise to accept the exception to API -676 tolerances ?

Thanks for your kind reply.
regards,
rajarajan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ideally you would need to check with Saudi if they are willing to accept the efficiency levels that come with the VDMA tolerances in power that you mention, i.e. a maximum of %25 to values inferior of 5 kW

The rated capacity tolerance that you say is contained in API-676 is 15% maximum - does this apply to any value of a rated power?

It would help if you can post details of the application, e.g. pump curve, data sheet. What power does your pump have?

Hi
Sorry for the delayed response, please find the attached performance curve of the pump.( the data might not be clear enough to read), i am trying to get the readable copy.

I made a mistake in my previous mail, its a API -676 progressive cavity pumps and not the lobe pumps.

This pump is operating at 2 case with Adjustable frequency drive.

Thanks for your prompt advice.

The absorbed power of the pumps you are offering will fall then in between 11-50 kW: +15% tolerance - from what you've written the VDMA rules state.

API-676 Table 8.3.6 highlights a tolerance of +4% for the rated power - see from below link.

Again, go back to Saudi and ask them if they are willing to have a a 15% tolerance in the pump power instead of 4% when testing.

If you could then come back confirming that they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back