DI Valve Flange Connection with HDPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RReal2024

Civil/Environmental
Apr 25, 2024
US
Hello mechanical engineers,

I need to connect a gate valve to an HDPE pipe, by flange.

The HDPE pipe is in Iron Pipe Size, 5 inch, DR 9. Specifically, the OD is 5.563 inches, and the ID is 4.25 inches (wall thickness is 0.618 inches).

Now I am looking at this Ductile Iron gate valve model that I have used somewhere else, but I am not sure to select the 4-inch or 6-inch one. Should I look for another valve model? If so, should I compare the HDPE OD with 5-inch DI pipe OD?

Thank you for anyone who responds -- it's my first year in the industry so I really appreciate any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally, the 5” iron valve is a rare item.
To minimize the pressure drop, you may use a 6”x5” reducer and 6” flange connection piece on 5” HDPE pipe and then connect to 6” ductile iron valve.

RReal2024 said:
If so, should I compare the HDPE OD with 5-inch DI pipe OD?
HDPE is measured in "Iron Pipe Size" specifically so it is can be mated to comparable iron piping components like you are trying to do, so 5" ductile iron pipe components should be able to work with 5" IPS HDPE.

But as mk2332 said, 5 inch is an odd size. You can go up in size to 6" as described, or down to 4" in the same way.

It's not clear what your application is, but I'm guessing this is irrigation or similar water service. You may have more luck finding and less trouble installing a 5" HDPE butt fusion valve or flanged PVC butterfly valve.

Given this is really thick PE pipe, go down a size for the metal band and you'll have pretty much the same ID.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back