Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diameter/AC Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynabach

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2005
US
I am looking to find the following:

1-1.5hp ac motor
min 3600 rpm
115-230v
1 phase

With the smallet diameter housing possible...Any suggestions...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may be able to run an AC servo motor with a VFD. Single phase 230V input. Could probably get the inverter or around $250.

Servo's are the smallest package I know of.

Barry1961

Submersible pump motor 4" diameter or even possibly 3 inch if you want to spend considerably more for the same hp.

What's your application?

Jim

Jim,

Problem there is cooling the motor: the pump motors get a lot of power from a small volume because they rely on the pumped media to provide cooling - run one at full load in air and watch for the magic smoke!

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

I am in the design stage of an abrasive tool, and I would like to use the motor/shaft as the driving mech., but I need as much clearance as possible off the face of the motor.

Induction machine, or universal? Universal machines can get a lot of power out of a very small volume because they run at very high speeds. They have a lot of disadvantages: relatively short life, arcing, noisy to name some of them. Do these matter in your application? The majority of hand-held power tools use universal motors.

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back