Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diaphragm Blocking Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrescottEngineer

Structural
Jun 3, 2010
US
I have a high load 5/8" plywood roof diaphragm with 2 rows of 10d edge nails at 3" oc. The framing is Redbuilt Red-W trusses. The placement of some of the strut bracing prevents the placement of the blocking at the panel edges. In one location this situation happens for 50 linear feet. The plywood is on and the struts are nailed in place so they can't be moved. The contractor states there is maybe 1/2" on average between the bottom of the sheathing and the top of the strut bracing. I have two thoughts:

1. Add a piece of 1/2" plywood as the blocking in the gap between the existing plywood and the strut brace.
2. Add a 2×4 on each side of the strut brace and edge nail the sheathing to the 2×4. Then add a 2× below the strut brace that is nailed to the 2×4s on each of the strut brace.

I don't really know how I feel about option 1. The contractor already flipped out when I showed up for the high load diaphragm structural observation and told him he needed to add blocking at all panel edges so I am sure he isn't going to like option 2.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what can be done and/or concerns about the presented options?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back