Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

? Did Auto-Recover EVER work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHalloran

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2003
US
I must have crashed SW a hundred times by now, maybe more.

Often, it offers to send a report, restart, and auto- recover the affected files. That suggestion acknowledged, it opens up, and ... nothing. Just a blank 'File Open' screen.

Last week, on a couple of occasions, 2009.0.0 expressed a new behavior; at least, new to me. It opened up, and showed me a list of recoverable files... not unlike what Excel, Word, and other products do when they encounter files that weren't closed correctly.

So I moved my cursor just a mickey or two, preparing to click on something.... and the recovery screen disappeared without a trace, back to a blank 'File Open' screen.

For a while there, I thought the 'Auto-Recover' screen was just a flat-out fabrication, but now I've seen it, for a total of a few hundred milliseconds.

So, I have to ask the obvious question: Has the Auto-Recover screen EVER worked, for ANYONE?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen the exact same thing, Mike. There is a way to make those files show up...if only I could get SW to crash, I'd tell you.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

Auto Recover should show up in your Task Pane. Enable the Task pane ( I always keep it thumbtacked down, and then it won't dissapear on you). When SW starts back up after a crash, and you've changed enough without save to constitute an auto recover, you should be able to access the file in the task pane.

I have successfully recovered files many moons ago when I first started with SW.

However I found that I crashed so rarely that I disabled the auto-save/auto-recover functions. This helped performance and even further reduced the number of crashes. It also had the benefit of not using so much hard disk space. My fingers are now conditioned to sit on the Ctrl and S keys and a save is performed so frequently that, if a crash does happen, I don't lose more than 5 minutes work.

Mike,
I just had a crash and was able to use the auto-recover function. After starting up, the 'auto-recover' window popped up, then disappeared. However, there was a tab, showing a folder, on the task pane. Clicking on it brought up the auto-recover screen. Though there weren't any files being shown, clicking on 'Recover all' restored the file I'd been working on.
Apparently it does work, just not quite how one might expect it to.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

I'm with CBL's approach. SAVE - SAVE - SAVE! We have all backup and recovery turned off. I do sometimes chuckle when some of our front office people tell me they just lost 4 hours of work.

I am of the same mind as CBL and gwubs. Save Early and Save Often. One should never less more then 10-15 minutes of work tops.

I would go nuts if I was the supervisor and someone came complaining about lossing hours of work.

Backup and auto-recover are turned off on all our systems.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP5.0, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

I've never had a pleasurable experience with auto recover... The few times I've tried to use it, the copy it had backed up still lost me about an hour of work somehow.

I try to save often, but once in awhile I do slip up and I'll lose maybe an hour of work...

It used to be worse, I had to share an outlet with another person (via plugging a surge strip into their surge strip) and whenever her damn little heater kicked on (she ran the damn thing year round, crazy woman) it'd blow the fuse and I'd lose anything I was working on as well as have downtime until I could get everything up and running again. Man was I glad when I got moved to a new office...

In fact, I think I'm going to go disable those features myself for the time being, as I don't really even attempt them anymore upon one of the seldom crashes I have anymore.

acavite ... you can enable a pop-up reminder-to-save at Tools > Options > System Options > Backup/Recover --- Save Notification for whatever length of time you want. I have mine set to 15 minutes.

AnnaWood ... "I am of the same mind as CBL"
You poor thing; but don't worry too much, with the proper medication you will get better. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back