Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Did i do the right thing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME82

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2005
US
Ok, so lately ive been looking for another job and so about a week ago i happened to get a good lead on one through our merchandiser, so anyways now my owner is pissed off because 1.The merchandiser who is a good friend of his offered me a job 2. We are shorthanded on employees

Heres my concern:
Could i have avoided all of this poop by just giving my owner the 2-week notice without telling him where im going to be working next. Honestly, i don't think it would have made any difference.

What do u think.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

k, one more thing the merchandiser is not related to us, so what im trying to say is that the merchandiser works for one company and i work for another.

Looks like Cats already out of the bag I’d say your time is short with that company away time start your looking for another job. Just give him your notice and move on, companies have no problems in letting you go when they’re down sizing. Every man for him self is my motto.

1) the friendship between the merchandiser and your boss is not your concern - if the merchandiser wants to maintain his friendship, he shouldn't be poaching his friend's employees. You can't help the fact that the merchandiser isn't a good friend.

2) its a shame that the company is short-handed but unless you fired everyone else or drove them away by being impossible to work with, that is also not your fault. Maybe it makes life difficult for your employer, but maybe if he'd employed enough staff, you might not be looking for another job right now.

As roadbridge says, its every man for himself. Its your job, your career and your life and its up to you to make the most of it for you. Don't let your last employer spoil your new job by blaming you for things you're not responsible for

kchayfie, so even if i went to the merchandiser asking him for a job and not the other way around, does it make any difference :imalittleconfusedhere:

The employer can afford to be without you more than you can afford to be without a job or stuck in an underpaying, unfulfilling job.

What I was trying to say is that if the merchandiser has done something that upsets his friend (like giving you a job) the problem lies between him and his friend and they need to work it out between them. If the owner is your friend and you've upset him because of something you have done (like get a new job) then you and he need to work it out. But if the owner is just a colleague and the friendship is only between the merchandiser and the owner, you are in the clear.

If you do consider the owner to be a friend, I would suggest working it out doesn't need to involve going back to work for him - you've still got your own life and livelihood to consider.

Call me cynical but I have seen so many times people getting screwed by a company - at the end of the day you have to look out for yourself - companies only look out for themselves, as soon as you are surp to requirements you will be looking for a new job anyways so you go where you feel that you will get the best deal.

I came up against it myself when i came back from Canada I got a job in a plant as a techie, good job and well was pretty much my own boss doing upgrades and redesigns. Then I got another better offer - bigger company and I thought room for progression and all that. So I put in my notice and things changed, they tried to keep me - better money and better conditions were touted, but you know if I was worth that before then why was I not getting it ? Oh and although I was an engineer I was having to clock in and out, yeah and being docked and crapped on from time to time for time keeping - was okay doing overtime for them and doing all wierd hours when it suited them but being a minute late was a no-no. I took the new job - they tired to persuade me to stay then when they realised that there was no possibility they got nasty - screwd me around so I left lost a weeks salary buy hey better than losing a months - the weakly (sorry weekly) paid salary was a bonus then.

Much better now - more time for family and end on better pay aswell. Sometimes you have to take the plunge and look out for yourself, no body else will. Companies are only interested in themselves. Just play it honest and fair and there should be no problem. You may have a good relationship with your boss but that is only because you are performing - as soon as that goes then the relationship goes dont get too hung up on it - or lose any sleep. Try to keep the negative people out of your lives.

Rugged

The only thing that you have to worry about is if you are the weakest link in the chain. If your previous boss and future boss figure out that their friendship is more important than you, you're gone. You are walking in a thin line. Well, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back