Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Die cleaning for for SS stamping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetdeath

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2003
CA
Hi,
We have a part who is produced in SS 304 with a die made specificaly for SS, made in CPM10V I think..

We will like to produce sdome parts in ''normal'' steel and I was thinking at first that if I do the production of ''normal steel'' with my die I will contminated it badly and not beiing able to run some SS again.

I was looking to get another die for steel and the factory where parts are produced tell me that we can use the same die...

Is that really possible to use the same die and have 0 risks ???

If so how a cleaning can take out some steel part that I guess will be ''stuck'' in the die with the huge pressure we get there...

Thanks aLot !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you should get a second die.

If it were so easy to decontaminate tooling, there would not be so many procedures and reqirements for prevention of conaminating stainless.

Using the same die for stainless and carbon steel is forging the carbon steel scale into the stainless part, making it difficult to properly passivate and creating localized corrosion sites in the stainless part. Best bet is to get a second die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back