Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Die Repair/ACAD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frayedknot

Mechanical
May 23, 2003
US
I need to draw some of our dies, and I have no die design experience. The dies are small--used in 20-45 ton presses to form copper or steel. My question: What is the best way to measure the configuration for the drafter, i.e center-line dimensions for the punches, guides, etc.? Cost is a huge factor here. We are a small company that cannot afford automated equipment. I am interested in using tradition tools to achieve the precision we need. My idea is to lay-out from an arbitrary reference point using a protractor and scale...what do I need to find the true centers of the holes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you cannot afford a CMM Coordinate Measuring Machine, I suggest that you get your self a surface plate or reasonable facsimile. In pinch I have used a large faceplate from a lathe used as a semi precise surface plate. You should get yourself a vernier height gauge, and a digital vernier. Create a datum edge on two sides of the die for X-Y location. Locate the edges of the holes you referred to, and record them. Double check the center to center distances with the Vernier. Machining is all about double-triple checking your results.

P.ENG/Machinist

I hope I don't missunderstood your question. As I understod you have a noumber of dies or holes and you whant the coordinates. Set up your part in a milling machine with digital scales and use a dialgauge to find the position of the holes. If you don't have the equipment I guess it's cheaper to ask any workshop to indicate it for you than to buy the equipment.

Leffe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back