Die Safety Blocks, for stamping presses - need source ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveAG

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2001
US
Greetings,

We need a source for DIE-SAFETY-BLOCKS (preferably Magnesium).

I have attached an image of what we are looking for.

For decades we have provided magnesium die-safety-blocks with the equipment that we sell. We used to source these from Magliner and then they discontinued them. We switched to the Magblox brand - and now they are planning to discontinue them also.

I am assuming that almost all users of stamping presses must use these blocks when performing die maintenance - so there should be a source (or sources for these). Any references to companies who produce and/or sell these blocks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve AG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the suggestions Mike.

We though that this forum might give us a bit more focused result than a general Google search. Ouur purchasing folks did search on Google and nothing jumped out at them. I didn't do that yet, myself.

Making them isn't what we really want to do. There are some certifications, liabilities, etc. associated with making something like this (as there are with any product) - but these - having the specific purpose of a safety item - would have unique requirements that way. Besides the fact that we don;t typically machine magnesium - we are also very focused in our manufacturing - concentrating on high-precision, high value-added items. We can't really afford the spindle-time to make items in this class. So making something like this - when it can probably be purchased - makes more sense in our case.

Thanks again,
Steve

Why do they have to be Magneseum? For weight maybe?
Aluminium and Oak Die safety blocks have been used for years.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Do you happen to have any sources for Aluminumn ones (preferably) or Oak ones? I can Google for these - but if you are already using some, or know of some and you'd provide that info - I'd appreciate it.

Seems like you could fab something out of heavy-gauge aluminum extrusion structural components like Bosch-Rexroth, 80-20, or any of a dozen others on the market today. Maybe that is why these companies are going out of business? You'd certainly have to get someone qualified to verify the column/buckling loads can be covered, but the calculations are easy enough. And send it out for yellow anodizing or overcoat with yellow safety paint. Attach handles, and put them on a regular inspection routine.

I have seen similar gizmos made of steel and permannently attached to the press frame. Mounting was on a vertical rotation axis so the column swung out of the press throat when not in use, swung into the press throat when deployed. Clever: always there when needed.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Thanks McGyvr.

I have visitied the sites that you provided, looked at the information and requested more where applicable.

We should be able to find what we need now.

Steve A.

Thanks JMarv. You are correct - as Minster just informed us that the Magnesium safety blocks they offer are no longer available. We will check out other press manufacturers too.

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back