Diesel fuel containment dike 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Physics_Nerd

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2016
SA
Hi Everyone

We have a 2.7 cubic meter Day tank which needs a containment dike. I need some advise regarding the containment dimensions
I calculated the volume of the dike same as the volume of the tank and a little more so that in an event of leakage the oil wont go out of the dike.

my question is what must be the minimum distance between the edge of the tank and the dike wall. I am currently using 200mm only. please comment on the
design and suggest changes. I have looked into NFPA 30 and cud'nt find any reference to any restrictions of what is stated above.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there is one.

You could have a double skinned tank where the second walk is <30mm away from the first.

So long as you have some form of secondary containment it doesn't matter.

Just as you get close the wall gets taller.

Just becomes a practical thing about construction

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There is guidance on the distance of the tank edge to the containment wall in some Australian code on tank farm design - I dont recall the code number. There may be some reference to this code if you do a google search.

Physics_Nerd,
I suggest you use some common sense.
Any Diked area (around a storage tank) needs to have enough clear space and access for a work truck to enter and drive around. The "access" means a ramp on the outside of the dike, travel space over the top of the Dike, a ramp down the inside of the Dike and space to turn the truck around.

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

@Pennpiper I have already considered common sense. thanks for your advise anyway. We do not have a dedicated room for the mentioned tank. rather, it will be housed in the generator room. we are talking about the containment dike in a room and not a whole space serving as a spill containment.

@LittleInch

Thanks for your answer.

I dont have a double skin tank. I think its a good idea but this has not been implemented in other building in the project.
for the sake of uniformity I am trying to follow what we have done for other buildings in the project. just a constricted and compromised version.

see attached the arrangement I have currently

20191014_191010_uawnps.jpg

I think you either need a double skinned tank or raise the height of the walls to the same as the tank.

Any hole of a decent size (even 25mm) will jet over that wall.

This design is quite strange so there is no real code to deal with it, just common sense

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

look at UL-142 "UL 142 Steel Above Ground Tanks for Flammable & Combustible Liquids" for diesel day tanks of this size.

the tank can easily be fabricated w/ dual walls and secondary containment.

i would think that a supplier should be near you w/ tanks already fabricated.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back