Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diesel fuel possibilities 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FahlinRacing

Automotive
Aug 12, 2011
US
I have been on the hunt for a buddy who runs truck pulls and was curious on what I could do to improve the burn cycle by engineering a performance fuel. I had seen Mr Primmer mentioning Acetone does help, however I believe it kind of dries out the Diesel fuel since it is a solvent. In turn needing a lube additive no matter what. I had the idea of Biod for its lube properties and high Cetane quality.

The ideas I have had so far are using BioD, methanol, ethonal or another that could be mixed in. But, some are saying I will need some equipment to mix it properly and efficiently on whatever I decide on. I believe methanol can only be injected, assuming ethanol is the same way? Along with other additives, I would like to use another actual fuel if I can.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FahlinRacing,

I think Navistar did a bit of testing using the additive DME (dimethyl ether) a few years back. There is at least one SAE paper documenting the effort. I think I also recall that the engine demonstrated a lower BSAC (Brake Specific Air Consumption - Pat's point much earlier in string).

Dick

Interesting reading about the Mitsubishi 4D56 tested by Auckland University Tekton - I wish I had seen that at the time. I got the same result with less science and just as much money.

I got a 1990 Pajero with a blown engine and rebuilt with a donor block - new pistons, reground crank, every bearing etc, and used the original cyl head as it was undamaged. This was at 210,000km, injector rebuilt and pump set with DTI, EGR blocked. I thought it went as well as any I've driven, and going over a certain hill into Auckland would only just stay in top gear and converter lockup....one passenger and it would kick down. At 270,000km this head cracked in the combustion chamber - fair enough I thought, it had been overheated several times (customers car) until finally running out of oil.

I fitted one of these replacement heads as they were cheap and uncracked OE heads non existent. It was down a little on power, and the temp gauge erratic - it lasted 3 weeks and 3,000km. They supplied another, it performed the same and lasted 30,000km...out of warranty. Both heads cracked below an inlet valve seat, so not a normal cracked head symptom. I suspect a thin casting in that area.

By now I had sold my workshop and was working in a Mitsi dealership, and was able to use a good head taken from an NZ new L200....just needed a cam cap repair. The difference in performance was stunning - now I was rolling off the throttle up the hill to stay under the speed limit, and would pull a full load of 7 adults without kicking down. As the heads looked identical I suspected it was different pre com chambers, but as this was all in hindsight there was no way to check without pulling the head again. I had rechecked the pump timing with DTI, and it was still the same. Black smoke was a lot less, but as we had gone to ULS diesel and smoke is down across the board I can't confirm that either.

Tekton, as of this moment I believe we have stressed what we could in the burn improvers here, don't worry about it. You have posted some very informative information. I intend to go through everything covered in the thread again this weekend

Turbomotor, thank you for the link! Again, everyone who has contributed I greatly appreciate the insight and help.

Fahlin, thank you for graciously accepting my somewhat diversionary posts

Mr Lada, with the hundreds of thousands of Asian IDI engines manufactured, the total lack of oe technical data to permit ready identification of sibling components and, shall we say "misinformation" provided by aftermarket suppliers, I've not the slightest doubt tens of thousands of fellow motorists have suffered similar experiences

A scandalous situation World Wide: so far as Australasia is concerned and NZ in particular, regional authorities and politicians were well aware of our studies, some of whom received hard data such as the Uniservices generated report which they chose to ignore despite irrefutable air care studies, one of which states " - - air pollution claims at least 486 premature deaths per year in the Auckland region - - 253 are due to motor vehicle emissions"

Here I need some guidance: I'm willing to post technical data including the dimensions and internal volumes of the IDI component we nicknamed "Conductor of the Combustion Orchestra", the pre combustion chamber cups - - well over 100 of them

This and other information was distributed throughout Australasia through the late 90's to mid 2000's, but never IT accessible - - the copywrite Uniservices Report has never previously been released to the public or posted

However, the Steinz Manufacturing data was generated for Engineering and Marketing purposes - - perhaps disqualifying it from Eng-Tips?

If not, anyone care to suggest a thread title?

Tekton

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=04038168-a063-4fce-a63f-2332392a0d78&file=5_Non_Standard_Parts.pdf
Yes, lack of information on Japanese domestic vehicles has caused a lot of problems in NZ, and there was a pretty steep learning curve for us mechanics in the '90's. Experts kept on giving us all the correct data - for Australian new vehicles ! Almost impossible to get it through their heads that these things were never on the world market.

I did use a pipette to measure the pre coms on a 4JG2 engine - I was fitting the wrong model head, but my engine guy knew we had to get the pre coms right for it to work. Otherwise, we get what we are given, and assume someone else has got it right. I didn't want the heads I was supplied, but there was no real other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back