Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

diesel/gas turbine problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmac100

Electrical
Oct 9, 2003
NG
hi guys,
great work going on here.let's keep it up.
please,i need some help.we currently operate four 3MW Ruston TB5400 DUAL fuel diesel /gas turbines for our electrical power supply needs.the turbines were upgraded to diesel/gas from diesel alone in 1998 and they were actually installed in 1981.
the problem now is that after running the units on diesel,for us to raise them on gas again,we need to change or clean the BURNERS as there would be deposits of carbon on the burners.this actually takes a very long time,as we'll need to wait for the machine to cool down.
has anyone experienced these same problems or similar ones?what line of action/solutions did you apply?any suggestions from anybody?i am really bothered and i have to tackle this project.
also,does anyone have any maintenance program/job routine that i can apply to improve the availability of these units?
thanking you all.keep up the good work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I might get heckled a little for this one but here goes. I have heard of people pouring water (in moderation of course)into the inlets of recip engines. When this water hits the chambers it turns to steam and helps remove carbon buildups. This operation may have the same affect in a turbine. As turbines are not nearly as affected by mousture going in this might be an easy process. This is just an idea as I have never tried it before but hey if it saves you the effort of changing burners...... Hope you figure it out. Changing burners is not much fun. Especially when they are hot.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back