Diesel generator fuel pipe and chimney sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pgee630

Electrical
Dec 13, 2019
GB
Hi,

Could anyone please advise me any formula or chart / table for sizing of fuel pipe and the exhaust chimney of a diesel generator?
The chimney needs to run vertically to tens of meters above the generator location within a building.

Thanks
PMCH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a rule of thumb, you fuel pipe should be 2x sizes larger than the ports on the engine. For example, if they use -8 JIC ports, use 1" pipe.

For stack sizing, the engine manufacturers or generator supplier will able to provide you with an exhaust mass flow and temperature. The will also have a maximum back pressure. You will also need total length of pipe, elbows, and muffler back pressure to calculate the minimum pipe diameter. To give room for error run one pipe size above minimum. I don't have the formula handy as it has been awhile since I have used it.

Finally, it you want it to be quiet size your exit pipe so that velocity is below 9000 feet per minute.

Thanks TugboatEng. I understand the general principle to size any pipes or ducts for fluid or air. But I'm wondering if there is any chart or table that is available for diesel fuel and generator exhaust hot gas so that I can use to check the fuel pipe size and the chimney size, same as that we normally do for e.g. steel pipe sizing for potable water or sheet metal air duct sizing for room air. If there is no any of these charts / tables, I'm not sure how could I size them properly.

Many thanks.

@catserveng,

Thanks a lot for the information provided, much appreciated your help. Just also wondering if there is a separate section called "Piping system basic information" available, as it is being referred in the "Diesel fuel and Diesel fuel systems" section.

Many thanks
P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back