Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diesel in a GAS engine???

Status
Not open for further replies.

powergage

Electrical
Jun 25, 2003
US
Hey, I've got a 2002 Chevy Avalanche and I let my buddy borrow it to move some stuff. Well, being the nice guy that he is, he decided to fill the fuel tank up before he gave it back to me. The problem is, for some reason he thought the truck was a diesel and put about 12 gallons of diesel fuel in the tank. How he could assume it was a diesel, I do not know. Anyways, I was most distressed at hearing this, but thus far, the truck has continued to run fine. It has been over a week now (with a couple of regular fuel fill-ups) and it seems fine.
Is my truck going to be okay or is something likely damaged inside my fuel line or engine that I should have a mechanic look at??
Any input appreciated!!!

gage

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Driving. It was...I want to say three days before the mix up was discovered, so the truck had been run for probably 120 miles or so before that. I just filled the tank up right away to try to dilute the mixture (probably not a the best idea). But, like I said, the truck has been running fine and I never even noticed a difference, except a little bit of extra smoke from the tailpipe when I started up one time.
So, I probably should have had it drained, but I figured by that time it was too late anyways. I am really crossing my fingers right now just hoping that everything is okay!

gage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back